7 attention-getting coatings from 2016
The numbers don’t lie. The coatings industry is alive and kicking. In fact, the global paint and coatings market grew to a value of $141.5 billion in 2015, according to a recent study by research firm MarketLine.
This is due, in part, to major manufacturers listening to frontline paint professionals, and creating exciting new products that are changing the coatings industry.
“With a long history of delivering products to professionals, we’re more committed than ever to developing new products that meet their needs,” said Steve Revnew, senior VP of product innovation at Sherwin-Williams.
“An essential part of our R & D process is customer feedback and validation,” says Revnew. We provide our customers with actual samples of a new or enhanced product and have a very thoughtful process to get and assess their feedback, which then is directly used to inform our next steps and the evolution of the product. This part of the process is key—only the people using the product day in and day out can give us this valuable feedback.”
Dan Passinault, PPG Paints’ associate director of innovation, products and execution, understands that the coatings market is ever evolving and new products help drive success.
“A large number of our product formulation adjustments or new products have initial origins in direct input from professionals. We constantly keep a close eye on what our customers want out of a product and what they need to get the job done. It’s our job to make our customers’ jobs easier.”
The nearly 100-year-old manufacturer, Rust-Oleum, prides itself on innovation.
“Our new-product development focuses on solving real-world challenges for the professional and DIYer, while providing long-term durability and protection,” explained Rust-Oleum’s Brand Manager, Dan Gibbons. “Input from industry experts and people who use our products every day is important for product development. If we discover a new technology that’s unique, but it doesn’t solve a problem, or if the product is too expensive or difficult to use, it will fail.”
SEVEN NEW COATINGS THAT TURNED HEADS IN 2016:
FROM PPG PAINTS
• Break-Through! Int/Ext Waterborne Acrylic Paint offers a unique and versatile technology that provides excellent adhesion, hardness, and block resistance to a variety of residential and commercial surfaces such as floors, trim, cabinets, railings, shelving and equipment, as well as metal, wood, concrete, fiberglass, laminate, and many plastics. It’s a time-saver too, with a quick drying time of 17 to 20 minutes to touch and two hours for recoat, resulting in less downtime and quicker job completion.
• Olympic Maximum Stain + Sealant in One was enhanced with a new Weather-Ready technology last year that enables stain projects to take place even if the weather isn’t perfect. This product can be applied after rain because it is formulated for damp-wood applications for consistent results. And, the product is rain-ready 8 to 12 hours after application, so those taking on staining projects no longer have to fear their completed project will be ruined by unpredictable rain.
• Glidden Diamond Paint + Primer provides a smooth, beautiful finish with diamond-tough durability that withstands daily wear and tear. What’s more, it provides an excellent value. Starting at less than $25, this interior paint + primer makes exceptional quality and performance attainable at an affordable price.
• Zinsser Odor Killing Primer is low odor, water based, and essentially kills existing odors on interior surfaces. Its low-sheen finish applies white, but dries clear. It’s perfect for eliminating pet odors on surfaces; food, cigar and cigarette smoke; and fire and smoke damage. And it’s compatible with all paints and clear finishes.
• Zinsser WaterTite Flexible Primer and Finish is designed with elastomeric qualities, which allow it to expand and contract to fill hairline cracks. It’s ideal for use on new and existing exterior concrete and masonry, including stucco and brick. Backed by a 10-year Durability Guarantee, this primer and finish is moisture and mildew resistant, and even protects surfaces from wind-driven rain.
• Paint Shield Interior Latex Paint is one of Sherwin- Williams’ most innovative products. It is the first EPA-registered microbicidal paint that kills 99.9% of Staph, MRSA, E. coli, VRE, and Enterobacter aerogenes within two hours of exposure on a painted surface. It’s ideal for use in a health care or educational institution setting.
• SnapDry Int/Ext Acrylic Latex Paint for doors and trim dries in as little as one hour of application, and a door can even be closed without sticking. It has resistance to dirt and fingerprints, UV rays and weathering, which makes it great for jobs where you’re crunched for time.
AND WHAT FOR THE FUTURE?
While 2016 was a great year for exciting new coating products, expect 2017 to bring more surprises.
Passinault says that to remain relevant and competitive in an evolving marketplace, manufacturers need to continuously provide product improvements and innovations that best service customer needs and, ultimately, solve problems.
“We anticipate retailers will continue to focus on premium paints and stains, decorative finishes, and low-VOC paints to help grow revenue streams,” he says. “The next couple years should continue to be very exciting with many improvements to existing products, as well as new product introductions.”
“We’re excited to share enhancements to go-to products in 2017,” Revnew said. “In the first quarter alone, Sherwin- Williams will introduce enhanced hide and application for SuperPaint Flat Interior Acrylic Latex Paint, improved hide and uniformity for ProMar 200 Zero-VOC Flat Latex Paint, and even better hide and final appearance for Eminence High Performance Ceiling Paint.”
As the major manufacturers continue to research and innovate new products, they want to make one message clear to professionals in the field: “Keep talking, because we’re listening!”
Says Gibbons: “Customer feedback and real-world issues guide our new-product development. We are currently developing products that will help the professional user grow their business and improve the results of their work.”